Agios (St) Nikolaos – Sithonia
Agios Nikolaos is a large traditional village located in Halkidiki belongs to the municipality of Sithonia. In the region of St. Nikolas have detected traces of prehistoric settlements. Northeast of the current settlement, in the Tower , developed the classic years of the settlement Siggos which took his name Singitkos bay subsequent eponomastheis Mount Athos that separates the peninsula of Sithonia and Athos.
The modern village was formed by the union of two villages : Agios Nikolaos , inhabited by refugees from Mani , and St. George, inhabited by locals Halkidiki . In others the name is due to the monastery of St. Nicholas Chrysokamarou , Xenophon monastery of Mount Athos , which was located in Tower .
Residents of St. Nikolas participated in the revolution of 1821 . Important fighters of the revolution of 1821 was John ( Giannakis ) Papa , the Triantaphyllos star and Stergios Paul. Residents also participated in the movement of Tsami Karatasou 1854. Area liberated from the Ottomans in 1912 .
There are three local festivals : Agios Nikolaos, Agios Georgios and Agia Paraskevi. The large church is dedicated to Saint George and the second largest is dedicated to the patron Saint Friday. The largest festival , is the patron Saint Paraskevi events begin earlier than the day of memory of the festival that runs from 24 July to 26 July . Every night in the square in popular traditional feast with local or foreign orchestras. The evening stay awake believers in the church yard . On the day after the Divine Liturgy offered “biskotoloukoumo”.